Sunday 2 September 2012

1st September, a Rombalds Moor wander

My walk today began on Morton Moor, like the famous Ilkley Moor and the less renowned Addingham High Moor both of which I would wander across later it is part of Rombalds Moor. Rombald was a legendary giant who resided in these parts, famed for throwing a mighty boulder which caused the Cow and Calf rocks at Ilkley to be split, a likely tale!

The grouse on the edge of the moor where I started out are free from fear of the shooters, this female strutted around confidently, I wonder how they know:-)

Time is nearly up for butterfly watching for the year, this small tortoiseshell was basking as the sun gradually broke through.

The walking is relatively easy, navigation is very easy with a wall to guide me westwards.

One of the real delights of this walk is the mixed terrain, leaving the moor temporarily I ventured through a section of tightly packed woodland, the sun filtering through the trees gave this lovely effect.

Did I say the mixed terrain was a delight? Maybe this bit could be otherwise described!

A lifetime of walking on moorland has given me some knowledge and perhaps instinct for finding a way through the most horrendous bogs and not immersing myself in the smelly stuff. Simple rules for beginners...if it looks like marmite or mushy peas, a/ don't step on it and b/ don't eat it!!! I temporarily forgot rule a/ , whoops up above the knee in foul smelling gloop and not happy!

After a messy extrication I found a drier path back into the woods, this robin knew better than to look or sound too cheerful!

Emerging now on the Ilkley side of the moor the skies were getting nicer, shades of blue gleamed through and the heather was a beautiful purple.

I had a splendid lunch break at High Moor Edge, the trig point could with a little TLC I think.

The meadow pipits are now gathering in small flocks, many will leave soon to winter on lower ground. I usually find them fairly accomodating for photographs, today they were skittish and it took a fair amount of patience to get this shot.


I made a pathless descent from the heights of the moor towards the local landmark of the Noon Stone.



The path along the edge here is a great place to appreciate this section of Wharfedale.

The outcrop in the right foreground was home last year to a wickerwork wolf, probably placed here as an advertising gimmick by a local company, it was fixed with wires and bolts, the removal of the unwanted and unsolicited wickerwork has left this detritus behind, next time I'm up here I'll bring some pliers and do some tidying up.


The small ponds on the moor can be worthy of close inspection, this pond skater posed nicely for me!

Time to head downhill now and I descended towards Nab End above Silsden, the prevailing direction of the wind has some obvious indicators.

I love watching kestrels hunting, the way they hover almost motionless in the sky fascinates me. Various attempts at satisfactory photographs have been made, today I was a little more successful.


Tarmac lanes would guide me homewards now, a great day nearly over but time to look back at Nab End as I walk through the delightful hamlet of Swartha.

Autumn is nearly here, the change in seasons brings the migration of many bird species and I wish them all well on their long and tiring journeys.

Maybe the best illustration of the changing seasons is a thistle, the flower now gone and covered in a beautiful down.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dave, excellent album of the wildlife and local countryside. A good walk in varied terrain as you say. Great shots of the grouse and meadow pipit on a fine day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of this album looked very familiar !Great photos of the kestrel. Hope you can get out this weekend too.

    ReplyDelete