Thursday 19 September 2013

Two weeks of not much to see!

I endeavour to compile a worthwhile report at least once a week, occasionally nature or weather or a mixture of both conspire against me. The last couple of weeks have been a real struggle to accumulate enough photographs of what I consider an acceptable quality to publish, hopefully the damp and grey weather is now moving on and I can resume longer walks, much as I have enjoyed the short excursions when the weather has allowed.

In addition to the weather, the heavy foliage of summer still adorns the trees and some of my walks have accompanied by lots of birdsong from invisible singers!

A short wander on the moor brought a sighting of a meadow pipit..


And a buzzard which must have been perched quite close until we inadvertently disturbed it...


Another moorland stroll in a different area saw me find a grouse by the path....

An extremely hairy caterpillar (species not known) wriggled its way across the path...


The meadow pipit continues to be a willing model...


A glance through the binoculars confirmed this as a female wheatear, I mistakenly thought they had all migrated by this time...

A small copper butterfly completed my shots for that day...


I spent some time at my owl watch without gaining any photographs but I added to my knowledge again, as the leaves fall from the trees I hope to get more and better sightings, quite a lot of the sights through the scope and binoculars are of the tawny owls moving around in the foliage of their home tree.

A short walk by the canal and I saw a robin singing happily on a fence...

The grey heron was its usual accommodating self...

A lovely swan posed briefly before embarking on a very noisy take off...

 
 
 
We have grown some onions in the garden this year, we left one to seed and this is the beautiful result...

Another moorland stroll and I spotted a red admiral sunning itself...

One evening brought us a lovely clear shot of the moon...

And my final wander over the two weeks, by the river Wharfe in difficult light I saw a mandarin duck...

I was looking out for dippers but had the camera on a setting for a static pose when I snapped this one!

And finally when it posed it stubbornly refused to turn towards me...

Such has been this photographer's lot for the past two weeks, I am looking forward to a change of weather and fortune!

Many thanks to all viewers, don't forget comments come to me first for approval.

The blog should pass the figure of 20,000 views in the coming week, an audience I could never have imagined when I started the project, thanks to each and every person who has taken a look.

2 comments:

  1. thanks,Dave. Nice to see you back. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a lot to see, including a hairy caterpillar ! Good swan 'take-off'. Hope you were able to get out and about this weekend.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete